ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jessica Alcántara Rivera BIM-Research Coordinator
Aranza Ayala Amador Talent Research Program
“We truly believe that innovation in architectural tools must be continuously improving team efficiency while reducing time and enhancing the quality of project delivery.”
Implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) in companies
The benefits of BIM implementation are related to work productivity in companies. Have you ever analysed what we must do to implement BIM in our architectural or construction office?
According to the book “BIM and Construction Management”, BIM not only seeks to implement software but also processes and behaviours:
- Behaviours: this methodology facilitates collaborative work at the internal level (between different departments), and the external level (between different agents and companies that are engaged during the life cycle of a project).
- Process: BIM starts from 3D models with non-graphic information that evolves to 4D,5D,6D and 7D throughout the life cycle of the project or infrastructure.
- Instrument: The company that wishes to implement BIM will have as a priority to acquire the specific software to work with. (Structuralia, 2018)
Potential Implementation Strategies
1. Application method: This strategy adds new software to those currently in use. It carries a high risk because it can generate confusion when choosing the most appropriate for each project.
2. Substitution method: this strategy changes traditional systems for the new BIM system without a transitional period.
3. Integration of new processes with existing ones: This not only considers the technology to be implemented but also new behaviors to be developed by the team. (Structuralia, 2018)
Strategy 3 "Integration of new processes with existing ones" process
The best strategy of the above is no. 3 and can be broken down into the following phases:
Without a doubt, the implementation of the BIM methodology is something that must be thought through carefully, but in the end, the results will be favourable. There are some mistakes that we must avoid at all costs for proper operation, for example, not considering the people involved with the BIM processes, or not following the order of the established steps.
Order and discipline are the keys to a good result, in any aspect and any job, the BIM methodology helps us to be more disciplined when starting an architectural project, bringing order to the people involved, which gives satisfactory results in the project.
Structuralia. (23 de Octubre de 2018). Structuralia. Obtenido de https://blog.structuralia.com/como-abordar-la-implantacion-bim-en-mi-empresa